Friday 2 September 2011

Truth



Book Review
Freedom, by Jonathon Frazen, Fourth Estate
 After reading The Corrections, by Jonathon Frazen, many years ago, I couldn’t help but share this book with others.  A friend of mine, after taking the recommendation, didn’t see things my way, and remarked, “But there aren’t any likeable characters.” To which I replied, “That’s the beauty of it.” At the time, I was living in sea of negativity, finally seeing the world without rose-colored glasses, studying, listening to an angry ex-boyfriend’s rants, reading the other sections of the newspaper… and I wanted this kind of book, to feed my indignation and confirm my outlook on life. It was comfortable for me.
 Now, years later, after reading Freedom, Frazen’s fourth novel, I couldn’t help but look back on my old attitude and wince.  This is a book with deeply realized characters. They’re like the grizzly car accident you can’t help but peer at over your shoulder, on the highway. There might be small fragments of yourself you see in them, which is profoundly disturbing, and like The Corrections, who are you supposed to like? Of course, we often watch movies full of pitiful characters. We are let down by their actions but secretly take pleasure in the fact that we’ve got it all worked out a little better, but a book is different. A book is a commitment. You carry it around in your bag, reasoning it is something worthwhile to do, when what you’re doing right now isn’t really worthwhile. You go to bed with it. You spend your weekends together. Surely you should like someone in it?
 Well it certainly couldn’t be Patty, married to irresolute Walter Berglund, yet grieving for something with indifferent Richard Katz that was never realized. Their children, neighbors and lovers are no less forgivable. But Patty takes the cake here. She is too honest with herself, too free in her thinking. While the others around her suffer at her ire, they too finally give themselves permission or the freedom to stop being “good” as they see it. They tell the truth or find it.
 It’s not to say that I didn’t keep coming back for more of this car crash. This book is highly readable. It’s the kind of book I felt guilty spending so much time with. Not the sort of contemplative type of story meant to be savored, but more of a power-read. I really liked it, and the most satisfying part was instead of getting enjoyment out of pitying characters, I could take satisfaction from recognizing in myself a new positivity. I didn’t feel good about Patty, Walter and Richard, but I sure felt good about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment